YMCA Raid Pyrenees | 100 Hour Coast to Coast Challenge
Monday 6 July – Sunday 12 July 2020
This event is now full. Please add your name to the waiting list if you are interested in this event.
The YMCA Raid Pyrenees is the ultimate event for enthusiastic and devoted road cyclists. In the 1950’s the Cyclo Club Béarnais were looking for a challenge, so they created a route across the Pyrenees, keeping as close to the Spanish border as possible and, here is where it gets even more exciting, they only had 100 hours to complete the epic ride.
In 2020, YMCA East Surrey is taking on this iconic challenge and would like 34 of you to join us on this epic adventure in the Pyrenees. Take on infamous climbs such as Col du Tourmalet (you’ve seen this one on the Tour de France!), Col d’Aubisque, Col de Portet d’Aspet and the Col d’Aspin and cycle along quiet and beautiful back roads and passes of France’s southernmost mountain range. The scenery is stunning, the road surfaces good and the car drivers are courteous and respectful of cyclists.
Tell me more...
Since 2003 we have been supporting our challengers in achieving their goals. We are passionate about providing the best possible events for our participants as well as raising money for our charitable work across East Surrey. The expertise and experience of our volunteer teams really shows. We provide two highly specialised support crews and our cycle leaders are attentive and energetic. As well as raising money for our charitable work across East Surrey, it is also about your goals and aspirations and we pride ourselves on our individual customer focus from your first enquiry to the last moment of your event.
If you want to make 2020 a year to remember, check out the information below:
- Monday 6 July – Sunday 12 July 2020
- Epic coast to coast ride from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean across the Pyrenees in 100 hours
- 442 mile (711km) Raid Pyrenean route encompassing 46,658ft (14,221m) ascent
- Conquer infamous Tour de France cols: Col du Tourmalet, Col d’Aubisque, Col du Jau
- Official route including registration plus certificate & medal for successful finishers exclusively from Cyclo Club Bearnais
- Comfortable 2 and 3* hotels, twin share, with local cuisine geared to cyclists
- Price includes all transport including flights from Gatwick to Biarritz and back from Perpignan to Stansted plus transfers to and from the start point at YMCA East Surrey in Redhill
- Price includes all breakfasts, lunches and support stops throughout the event
- Bike transportation to start line and back to YMCA to save you having to take your bike on the flights
- Free training
- Two experienced volunteer support teams to look after you and your bikes throughout the trip
- Experienced and passionate leaders from the YMCA Challenge Committee.
We organise a variety of cycling sessions that are tailored to build mileage for each of our cycling challenge events. Rides are free and all are welcome, even if you are not taking part in an event.
Information evening - Wednesday 1 July
Come and join us on Wednesday 1 July for the Raid Pyrenees information evening to find out more about the event, route, transport and support and meet other participants.
The event is free and refreshments will be available.
Wednesday 1 July | 19:30-21:00
YMCA Sovereign Centre, Slipshatch Road, Reigate, RH2 8HA
For more information, please contact Kim Roderick.
Fundraising - What's all the fuss about a bus?
You might be thinking why is it so important to have a minibus, but this is vital to ensure we can reach the most vulnerable people in our community. Children and young people with disabilities often can only access our services and trips out using fully adapted transport. Elderly people living in isolated places can benefit from our Travel Fit service which provides a collection and drop off service so they can enjoy activities whilst socialising with others. Vulnerable young residents at Hillbrook House are transported by mini buses to life skills courses and personal development activities. Our Friday Night Project for young people with learning difficulties and Lifeworks Project use minibuses regularly to engage in social activities like bowling, going to the cinema or attending disability sports events.
A new YMCA Minibus purchased by sponsorship from our events will ensure that none of these groups miss out on activities and trips so please pledge your support. And don’t forget, you may have already been in one as our minibuses also take our challenge participants across the country on fundraising events!