Centre of Excellence for Disability Sport, Health and Wellbeing
Since opening 25 years ago, the YMCA Sports & Community Centre has been extremely popular with local residents with an increasing demand on the space available.
To help meet these needs, we are extending the existing centre and building a new Inclusive Sports Facility to provide more disability sport and physical activity sessions. The combination of this new, state-of-the-art facility and the YMCA’s welcoming and caring approach will create a centre of excellence for disability sport, health and wellbeing for the whole community.
The new building will also offer improved facilities for children attending out of school childcare and recreational activities, as well as enhancing the facilities for those attending our gym and fitness classes.
The project is due to be completed in November 2018.
What’s happening next?
- w/c 29 October – a new canopy will be installed at the main entrance to the building. Temporary access to the building will be outside the new build and through the existing sports hall between 07:30-16:00.
- Work will be taking place in the car park to tarmac new areas, as well as line marking. This will give us additional parking once the build is complete.
- The new reception desk will arrive on Friday 2 November and will be fitted over two days.
- Sunninghill need regular access to the plant room upstairs in the Brewers Room. We apologise for any inconvenience but we hope this does not cause too much disruption to any services running from this room.
Thank you for your patience and co-operation during the build. The support you have shown for this project has been very encouraging.
We’d also like to thank Sunninghill Construction Co. Limited for their professional approach and help in maintaining our services during the build.
- A new state-of-the-art inclusive sports hall with two dedicated Boccia courts
- Viewing gallery
- New accessible toilets and showers
- Refurbished existing toilets and showers
- Treatment rooms for therapy, consultations and counselling
- New studio space for fitness classes
- Upgraded children’s outside play area (work due to begin after the main build is complete and a supplier has been contracted)
- Increased parking
The designs have been developed in conjunction with CF Architects to sympathetically extend and blend into the existing centre. The images shown are for representational purposes and the final build may differ.
When will the project finish?
Work is anticipated to be completed by early November 2018. As with any project of this size, timings can be subject to minor change but we’ll keep you updated on our website, on Facebook, Twitter and on notice boards at the centre.
Who are the building contractors?
Sunninghill Construction Co. Limited have been contracted to complete the building work following a successful tender process.
Will the centre close at any point?
We are aiming to keep the centre open throughout the construction period and to keep disruption to a minimum during the works. The contractors may need to close individual areas on occasion and we will give as much notice of this as possible. Our contractors are experienced in delivering improvements whilst services remain open, where feasible.
What does this mean for the existing centre while the building work is being completed?
Whilst parking has been reduced during the build, please remember there are other options available.
- Parking is available at the Bright Horizons Royal Earlswood nursery on Asylum Arch Road after 18:45 on weekdays and all day at weekends.
- Additional parking is available at the front of the car park as you enter on the right. This will be used by building contractors during the day but will be available for public use after 17:00 on weekdays and all day at weekends.
At the end of the build we will have 20 more spaces than we had before the project started.
Gym and fitness classes
The YMCA gym will remain open during the works and will largely remain unaffected. Please ensure you check our fitness class timetable online regularly for any changes to class times:
Y-Tots Crèche has moved upstairs to the Sanctuary and will continue to run weekdays between 09:15-11:15.
Y-Kids After School Club
Children who attend Earlswood Infant and Junior schools will continue to come to the YMCA Sports & Community Centre in Princes Road, Redhill. As the only school onsite, the children will have more space upstairs to enjoy active games and sports as well as a range of crafts. We will also still have a quiet area for children in Reception and Year One.
Children who attend St Joseph’s, St John’s, St Matthew’s, Lime Tree, Dover’s Green and Sandcross schools are now going to After School Club at the YMCA Sovereign Centre on Slipshatch Road, Reigate. This is a dedicated centre for children with excellent facilities including a main activity room where children can enjoy games and crafts, as well as an outside play area and sports pitch.
The YMCA approach
YMCA East Surrey has an impressive track record of providing physical activity for those most in need. Last year around 750 people with disabilities, including 546 young people, took part in our specialised sport and fitness programmes and we had around 12,500 health rehabilitation visits from over 600 adults with ill health.
“The YMCA has helped enormously. It isn’t only the exercise that has done wonders. The exchange of information with other members is priceless.”
Clifford, Exercise Referral Member
Improvements to gym facilities – subject to funding
We are also focusing our attention to the existing gym and have aspirations to improve these facilities once new sports hall is complete. This work is dependent on securing the necessary funding, but we are committed to making this happen and have a strong track history of fundraising to improve facilities for the local community.
How you can help
Please consider supporting us by making a donation or holding a fundraising event, dinner party, cake sale, etc.
Find out more
You can keep up-to-date with the latest developments on the Inclusive Sports Facility build by signing up to our ISF eNewsletter or by checking this webpage or displays in our centre regularly.
T 01737 779979
YMCA Sports and Community Centre, Princes Road, Redhill, RH1 6JJ