Writing and updating your Will can be an inspiring process. It’s your chance to make sure your loved ones are looked after and to think about the world you’d like to leave behind.
After you’ve taken care of your loved ones, including a gift in your Will for a charity like YMCA East Surrey is a very special legacy to leave.
A charity gift in your Will doesn’t have to be large. Even just a small percentage of what’s left after your loved ones are provided for can make a huge difference to YMCA East Surrey’s work with those who are vulnerable or disadvantaged in our local community by helping us:
- Provide accommodation for young people with nowhere else to go.
- Promote stable, healthy families to give young children the best start in life.
- Promote health & wellbeing through our fitness gym and physical activity sessions for people with disabilities.
- Provide training & education to give young people the chance to build better futures.
- Give support & advice to young people who need help to overcome the challenges they face.
None of this work would be possible without the kindness of those who support us.
How do I leave a gift in my Will?
There are three main ways to leave a gift in your Will. Your solicitor will be able to check over everything for you but it may be helpful for you to consider the options below in advance.
- A Residuary Gift is the gift of either all, or a share of, what is left in your estate after all other gifts to family and friends (plus any taxes and expenses) have been paid.
- A Pecuniary Gift is a gift of a stated amount of money which is left to a named person, charity or other organisation. Inflation can reduce the value of these gifts over time, so they should be regularly reviewed.
- A Specific Gift is a gift of a specific item, like a piece of jewellery, furniture or property, rather than a sum of money. The item must be described precisely and the name and address of the person or organisation to whom the gift has been left must be provided.
If you want to leave a gift in your Will to YMCA East Surrey, we recommend you speak to a solicitor to draft your Will or update your existing one. You can find a solicitor at www.lawsociety.org.uk or call 020 7320 5650 (Mon-Fri 9.00am-5.30pm).
Our promises to you
If you are considering leaving a gift to YMCA East Surrey in your Will, we want you to feel completely comfortable about it. These are our promises to you:
- We’ll always treat you and your legacy with respect and will never put you under pressure – this is your decision to make in your own time.
- We also realise that, rightly, your family and loved ones will always come first.
- You can tell us that you’ve left a gift if you want to, and we’d love to thank you properly – but you don’t need to tell us and we won’t keep asking you.
- If you do tell us, we’ll give you the choice about how we talk to you in the future about our work in the community.
- Your gift will always be used where it’s needed most, so it has the greatest impact on the local community.
- We will use your gift carefully, efficiently and cost effectively.
- Whatever you’re able to give, we’ll treat your very special gift with sensitivity and respect.
- You can change your mind about a gift in your Will at any time in the future and you don’t need to tell us if you do.
Thank you for thinking of YMCA East Surrey in connection with your Will.