Join our free cycle rides and walks – whether you are taking part in one of our YMCA Challenges or not!
If you are signed up for one of our challenge events, we encourage you to take advantage of our free training. Not only will it ensure you are fully prepared for your challenge, but it will give you an opportunity to meet fellow challengers and the rest of the team.
We always advise you to do as much as you can in addition to our training programme – the more you do, the more you will really enjoy your experience!
2021 Training Walks
We have a selection of free training walks and runs organised to help you get ready for your challenge. Everyone is welcome to attend, whether you are booked on a YMCA Challenge Event or not.
Meet at 08:30 for tea/coffee, ready to depart at 09:00
YMCA Sports and Community Centre, Princes Road, Redhill, RH1 6JJ
From Wednesday 7 April 2021, Colley Hill circuits will take place weekly starting from Pilgrims Way, Reigate at 18:30 – number of loops will depend on daylight available – book Wednesday Colley Hill circuits here
Each date offers a choice of walking or running routes. For more information about these training walks, please contact Kim Roderick.
2021 Training Cycle Rides
We organise a variety of cycling sessions that are tailored to build mileage for each of our cycling challenge events. Rides are free and all are welcome, even if you are not taking part in an event.
All rides are carried out at participants own risk. All cyclists must wear a helmet, bring a drink and be aware that rides are on public roads and road or hybrid bikes are most suitable.
Sunday – road cycling
There will be a variety of routes available on each date for all levels of ability. All rides leave the YMCA Sports & Community Centre in Redhill at 09:00 (unless notified) with refreshments available from 08:30.
Sunday 24 January 2021 – book here
Sunday 21 February 2021 – book here
Sunday 21 March 2021 – book here
Sunday 25 April 2021 – book here
Sunday 30 May 2021 – book here
Sunday 27 June 2021 – book here
Sunday 27 July 2021 – book here
From Tuesday 6 April 2021, training rides will take weekly leaving the YMCA at 18:30. Distance will depend on numbers and daylight – book Tuesday rides here.
For details of weekly offroad training, please contact Fran Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please email email@example.com
Be Cycle Safe
Tips on cycling safely in a group when training with the YMCA or riding solo
• Use clear hand signals
• Make eye contact with other road users
• Wear bright clothing
• Cycle well away from the gutter and a door’s width from parked cars
• Stay well back from large vehicles
• Don’t weave but stay on a predictable straight course
• Use lights when visibility is poor
• Obey the Highway Code
• Avoid riding two abreast on busy roads, on bends and never ride three abreast
• Use group etiquette by pointing out hazards using hand and verbal warnings
• Don’t zip ahead of the leader or drop behind the back marker
• If you are stopping, make sure you give warning to other riders to say that you are stopping and do not immediately stop. Find a sensible place to stop, not on corners, where you can be seen and cars can easily pass you.
• Be alert
• Don’t use mobile phones or earpieces
• Wear a cycle helmet
• Wear gloves and carry a waterproof
• Make sure you have enough water; and food in case your energy levels drop
• Carry all you need for puncture repairs for your bike
• Carry ICE in mobile
• Carry identification
YMCA Fitness Centre
If you really want to improve your fitness, check out our fully inclusive, modern, air-conditioned gym which is full of cardiovascular and resistance machines to give you all round fitness. In addition, our fully qualified gym team will be on hand to provide you with a bespoke fitness programme to complement your chosen challenge.
Other training opportunities
Redhill Cycling Club have a range of rides taking place on Saturday mornings for all abilities.
Reigate Priory Athletic Club offer a range of training sessions for everyone.
Team Cake organise regular social cycle rides.
Local cycle rides – Mike Ormerod, who leads a lot of our training rides, has set up this very handy guide, including tea stops!
Travel Smart Surrey – lots of useful information on cycling routes and training for beginners