Yippee is YMCA East Surrey’s warm and welcoming playscheme for children aged 5-11 with disabilities and additional needs – including children who need 1:1 support – across East Surrey and West Sussex.
Yippee provides fun and inclusive activities for children, ensuring that they can play with friends and try out new activities, whilst giving families some support.
The welcome each member of staff gives my daugher means that she doesn't even glance back at drop off as she heads confidently in. I am always struck by how quickly staff tune into my daughter's complex needs and attend to her so professionally and with such kindness.
I highly recommend the Yippee holiday scheme for all.
We believe that all children have the right to play. Our qualified and experienced staff lead a variety of activities to encourage children to take part and try something new.
All staff are trained in meeting the needs of disabled children and have special training in behaviour management and communication methods, such as Makaton. There is a high staff to child ratio so that each child gets the support they need and, with a mix of young staff and leaders, they create a lively and fun atmosphere.
YMCA East Surrey has a non-exclusion policy and will never turn away a child whatever his or her needs. We aim to ensure each child:
- Will be respected as an individual, listened to, have their feelings respected and opinions valued
- Has access to stimulating fun and creative activities, supporting and encouraging each child’s individual stage of physical, intellectual, social and emotional growth.
- Is given the opportunity to make new friends, discover new skills, realise their full potential and develop confidence and positive image
- Will be welcomed into a safe, secure environment with a happy, friendly atmosphere
- Will be cared for by experienced and skilled staff that understand and value the needs of children
- Will be given praise, encouragement and the opportunity to succeed in an environment where positive behaviour is promoted and self-discipline is encouraged
- Will be encouraged to show consideration and respect for each other, staff members and the environment
On all our schemes, we reserve 40% of spaces for children and young people who require 1:1 support and schemes are fully inclusive and can accommodate all special educational needs and disabilities. These schemes are open to all Surrey residents.
A daytime session is £25.
We are able to provide financial support to attend our Short Breaks sessions for any families who may struggle financially.
Find out more about our 1,000 Days of Play funding
Find out more
To register, we ask you to complete a care plan and arrange a time to meet us. To find out more about Yippee, please contact our Short Breaks team or fill out a Short Breaks enquiry form.
If you have any feedback on our Children’s Services, please print off a feedback postcard and send back to us.