Yippee is YMCA East Surrey’s warm and welcoming playscheme for children aged 5-11 with a wide range of disabilities and complex needs held across East Surrey and West Sussex.
Yippee provides age appropriate activities for children, ensuring that they can play with friends and try out new activities, whilst giving families some support.
Having the Yippee club means that we as parents have peace of mind knowing that our son is cared for in a safe, loving and caring environment giving him time to meet and interact with other children and get involved in loads of different activities.
We believe that all children have the right to play, regardless of their individual ability. That is why we provide qualified and experienced staff within all our Yippee schemes, to enable disabled children to take part in a variety of activities.
All staff are trained in meeting the needs of children with disabilities and have special training in behaviour management and communication methods, such as Makaton. A high staff to child ratio ensures that each child receives the support they need and, with the help of young volunteers, they create a lively and fun atmosphere.
YMCA East Surrey has a non-exclusion policy and will never turn away a child whatever his or her needs. We aim to ensure each child:
- Will be respected as an individual, listened to, have their feelings respected and opinions valued
- Has access to stimulating fun and creative activities, supporting and encouraging each child’s individual stage of physical, intellectual, social and emotional growth.
- Is given the opportunity to make new friends, discover new skills, realise their full potential and develop confidence and positive image
- Will be welcomed into a safe, secure environment with a happy, friendly atmosphere
- Will be cared for by experienced and skilled staff that understand and value the needs of children
- Will be given praise, encouragement and the opportunity to succeed in an environment where positive behaviour is promoted and self-discipline is encouraged
- Will be encouraged to show consideration and respect for each other, staff members and the environment
On all our schemes, we reserve 40% of spaces for children and young people who require 1-2-1 support and schemes are fully inclusive and can accommodate all special educational needs and disabilities. These schemes are open to all Surrey residents.
A daytime session is £20 (£22 from 1 April 2019). For families who require financial assistance we do have a bursary scheme, more information is available upon request.
Find out more
To register, we ask you to complete a care plan and arrange a time to meet us. To find out more about Yippee, please contact our Short Breaks team or fill out a Short Breaks enquiry form.
If have have any feedback on our Children’s Services, please print off a feedback postcard and send back to us